Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day - 2009


Ya know - nothing - and i mean NO-thang spells independence and sovereignty like planting and working your own garden. My family and I spent this 4th of July weekend working on our garden plot and breaking ground on our new greenhouse, which will be of a steel pipe framed geodesic dome.

We are not strangers to eating salad these days. You can see we have an over abundance of the stuff! There are carrots and a few small strawberry plants in there, too.



This is the future home of what will be a geodesic dome garden. In an hour or so I will begin the first cuts of 3/4" steel electrical piping which will form the outside grid-work of the dome. In this picture you can see the outside arc of the domes foundation. It's a lot of work to remove the sod and knock of the dirt to preserve it for fill.

Here is a shot of the garden from the way back, near our mulberry tree. You can see that every plant has a cylindrical cage around it. This keeps the bunnies hungry. :) Pretty soon these will have to come off.

Mulberries. Our friend MacKenzie stayed with us for a few days and made a delicious mulberry pie. Heaven.


Standing atop the kids swing set you can get a better view of this bed. Kalarabi, califlower, brocolli and some other things that Katie remembers but I don't. :) Time to get out there and weed.




Aiden clipping chamomile flowers.


Lily and Aiden looking at something!



Jase and Aiden lighting sparklers

.
Holiday carcass.

... and the woman of my dreams, light of my life ... mother of my children and best friend in the whole wide world, my lovely wife, Katie. :)


1 comment:

  1. the photo of holiday carcasses... I thought you were a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete